What exactly is a crown?
Also known as a cap, a crown is a fitting that is placed over the remaining portion of a natural tooth. Crowns are ideal for protecting teeth that have been weakened by fillings, cracked or broken down. It possesses the shape of a natural tooth and strengthens your existing, damaged tooth so as to preserve its functionality.
Why might I need a crown?
- Tooth is significantly decayed and there is not enough tooth remaining to support a filling material
- If a large portion of your tooth has fractured and cannot be built up
- If you have had a dental implant to replace a missing tooth
- After root canal treatment, a crown is often needed to strengthen the tooth
- Damaging your teeth through grinding or acidic erosion
- For cosmetic reasons, to improve the aesthetics of your smile
How long will a crown usually last for?
Dental crowns at United Dental Care are of the highest standard, but, as with your natural teeth, the lifespan of a crown will depend entirely on how well they are cared for.